Ayr is a beautiful coastal town which lies on the mouth of the River Ayr. Ayr lies approximately 35 miles southwest of Scotland's largest city, Glasgow. Our international students say that Ayr is a great place to live and study; here are some of the main reasons why.
- The residents of Ayr have lots of facilities on their doorstep. The main shopping streets are located at the heart of the town. This area is surrounded by a number of bars and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets.
- The town attracts many holiday visitors therefore there are a large number of hotels and guest houses in the area. Accommodation is plentiful and easy to secure.
- Leisure facilities are located throughout the town. There is a cinema, theatre, bowling alley, race course, football club, cricket clubs, ice rink, swimming pool, sports centre, tennis courts and many golf courses.
- One of the town's most popular attractions is the promenade. This walkway stretches along the length of Ayr beach and is a must see spot for most visitors. In the summer you will see lots of wind-surfers, picnicking families, rollerbladers, cyclists and kite-flyers enjoying the beautiful open space around the beach.
- Ayr is home to one large college and one university. Ayr College works closely with the university to provide smooth progression routes from our HNC/D courses to degree and master level courses. Many students can complete their degree without ever needing to leave the area.
- Ayr is generally considered by our students to be a safe, welcoming place to live.